Friday, December 27, 2013

How about a nice game of chess?

This is my 1st game of serious chess since embarking on my training program. It was a bit scary going in since I decided to completely scrap my old opening repertoire in favor of openings I know barely anything about. I've always been an e4 player but I've decided to switch to d4. Also dumping the Sicilian for now.



Lessons I've learned:

  1. Being safe when trying to win a won game is a good thing, but don't go completely into a shell.  Be more aggressive with trading off those pieces.
  2. Keep the tactical radar on at all times.  Don't get lazy and fail to calculate hard moves in a won game.
  3. Keep pawns on the board when up material!  We all know this, but I didn't follow it like I should have.  Those general rules  exist for a reason.

3 comments:

  1. If you're really interested in OTB chess, we have a small group dedicated to chess improvement on chess.com that you can join (please mention your blog and you've been contacted by Laurent when you apply).

    Regards,

    http://www.chess.com/groups/view/over-the-board

    ReplyDelete
  2. Would be interested to see your thoughts on dumping your previous openings. I think that if it's a question of moving from nearly-useless memorization to where you are thinking for yourself, then it's bound to result in an improvement in your game.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Btw, I recently dumped the sicilian - as well. As I focused myself more on Chess improvement I became convinced I didn't understand blacks strategy well enough. espacially in more serious games during a tournament.

    as for the whole point of changing chess openings... I have never done a lot of memorization on any chess opening. the point was to get an idea how to fully develop all my peices. I'm hopeful that in time I would better understand how to develop a plan in chess, and not just aimlessly chase the peices around.

    ReplyDelete