Thursday, January 30, 2014

Games #6 and #7

Game #6 was the 2nd game I've played on ICC, and quite possibly the best game of chess I've ever played.  Heck, it might be the best game of chess I'll ever play, but I hope not.  It featured, for me, lots of tactical variations to consider in a pretty game where there were lots of losing or drawing moves to be made for both sides.




Game #7 was a weekly slow game played via the DHLC on chess.com.  Another game where I get into time trouble, trade down into a winning endgame and make some inaccuracies turning the win into a possible draw.




On the advice of Laurent, I will try to draw more specific conclusions about my play.


  1. I need to look 5-ply ahead at a minimum every time, no exceptions.  Too many times I am making what are good moves, but not considering his potential threats.
  2. I'm still having some issues with time trouble.  With all the time I'm using, you'd think I was spending it looking at least 5-ply ahead and doing concrete analysis, but I'm not.  Hopefully when I do my DeGroot exercise with Dan, he can suggest some improvements.
  3. I am moving too fast when in a clearly winning game.  Rule #1 of winning a won game is to think defense first.  In game #6 I had 20 different ways to win, but didn't make the 1 move that would've taken away all hope for a save.  I still won the game, but that won't happen every time.  I should definitely know better here.
  4. I feel like my tactics and endgame are at least where they need to be if not ahead of where they need to be for my level.  My ability to evaluate a position is probably my weak link right now.  I plan to read Heisman's "Elements of Positional Evaluation" and Shereshevsky's "Endgame Strategy".  The former should help with the early middle game, while the latter should help with the late middle game.
My current stats against class players.

Class E: +3 -1 =0
Class D: +2 -0 =0
Class C: +1 -2 =1
Class B: +1 -1 =0

Still very early to draw any conclusions.  Chess.com released the results of a survey where members were asked to post any chess.com or OTB ratings they had which were current IE >= 25 games played and >= 5 games played in the last 6 months.  Online standard players have a rating ~100 points higher than their USCF rating up until around 1300. Once their online rating gets to ~1600, it's ~100 points lower than their USCF rating.  And around high Class A/expert range, the difference is 200+.

Anyone who said that online ratings are lower or higher than OTB ratings were right. :)

My class D and E stats could be combined into +5 -1 =0 and it would be more like USCF Class E players.

1 comment:

  1. My suggestions..
    1) You cant look 5 ply's ahead at least not all lines, that would be way to many. And 5 ply's might be not enough. You need to calculate all "forced" moves = Checks, Captures and Threats. Other moves just need "judgement"
    2) You need to play the openings quick, the strategy is easy. You should calculate what time you may have used at move 10,20,30...and check al 10 moves for your time.
    If you are slower then try to be at least a little faster than your oponent.

    I dont think Heisman Positional Evaluation will help you. It seems to me that you need more (standard) Knowlwdge .
    For example at game #7 moves 22 ff:
    Rook (and Queen) endgames are drawish
    In a (beginning !) endgame you need to push your passer.
    To do so you need control about the square in front ( = d5 = white...)

    That might be something for you:
    http://shop.chess.co.uk/Yusupov-s-Complete-Training-Course-Level-1-2-an-p/cb04718.htm

    ReplyDelete